Podcast Tools for Online Interviews
Resource and Recommendation
Zoom.us is increasingly becoming the go-to recording platform for remote podcast interviews. This brief video will show you how to optimize your Zoom settings for podcast recording.
Learn how to
- Record the interview to your computer (even when the host sends the Zoom invitation).
- Record the raw audio track without compression.
Additional Mic Options
USB Podcast Microphones
Plug & Play
Each of these microphones plugs directly into your computer. They offer fantastic sound for podcast interviews at a great price. Little or no set-up is required.
XLR Podcast Microphones
These microphones will give you a substantial lift in audio quality from the USB microphones. (See accessories listed below.) please note that you will also need to purchase a mic cable, a mic stand, and a pre-amp to convert your audio to digital.
Rode PodMic *Kitcaster Recommends
- A broadcast-quality dynamic microphone a rich, balanced sound optimized for podcasting
- Features an internal pop filter to minimize plosives
- An internal shock mounting to reduce vibration
- Optimized for use with the RODECaster pro podcast production studio
- Also offers exceptional results with any high-quality microphone interface
These are a couple of my favorite headphones for podcasting. Any good pair of over-ear, wired headphones will work just fine. Note, you may want to pick up a cord extension and 1/8″ to 1/4″ adapter depending on your tools and desk setup.
A lot of podcasters are using Zoom to record their podcasts these days. Look your best. I have tested out a bunch to find options right in the Goldilocks Zone. Not too bright, not too intrusive, no harsh shadows, mobile-ready, and not too expensive. All of these are great options.
Upgrade your webcam. Not all podcasters publish the video, but nearly all of them record it. Having a great video version of your podcast episode is crucial when you’re ready to repurpose the interviews. If you’re looking for a turnkey podcast / video hardware, software, and set-up consultation, reach out! We can help.
Additional Camera Options
Sony Alpha a6400 Mirrorless Camera *Kitcaster Recommends
- Next Gen speed: experience the world’s fastest 0. 02 sec AF with real-time AF and object tracking
- Enhanced subject capture: wide 425 Phase/ 425 contrast detection points over 84% of the sensor
- Fast and accurate: up to 11Fps continuous shooting at 24. 2MP raw with crisp, clear natural colors
- Multiple movie functions: make time lapse movies or slow/quick motion videos without post processing
Sigma 16mm f/1.4 DC DN Contemporary Lens for Sony E *Kitcaster Recommends
- Compatible with Sony E mount cameras
- Perfect for nature & event photography
- Large f/1.4 aperture for superb lowlight performance
- Compact size makes it very portable
- Fully accommodates Fast Hybrid AF
Your old DSLR camera
- If you have a DSLR kicking around, put it to use! With the blurry backgrounds, DSLR cameras make video calls look incredible. Check out this YouTube tutorial to add some serious power to your podcast interview video.
Shopping list of podcast essentials.
Elgato Wave XLR *Kitcaster Recommends
For XLR microphones
- Microphone Interface: premium XLR to USB-C connection.
- Wave Link App: mix multiple audio sources and create two independent mixes.
- Proprietary Clipguard Technology: prevents microphone distortion.
- Studio Grade Preamp: up to 75 dB of ultra-low-noise gain amplifies insensitive mics.
- Phantom Power: 48 volts to drive condenser microphones.
Cloudlifter CL-1 Mic Activator *Kitcaster Recommends
For XLR microphones
- FOR HOME STUDIOS & PROFESSIONAL RECORDING: In the studio, boost the signal of quiet audio sources like vocals, percussion, or acoustic instruments while maintaining the natural sound of your microphone.
- REDUCE NOISE WHILE ADDING MICROPHONE CLARITY & SIGNAL STRENGTH: The Cloudlifter CL-1 mic activator uses Phantom power to give passive mics up to +25dB without passing Phantom power onto the mics themselves. Reduce unwanted feedback while increasing the clarity of your microphones.
RetiCAM Tabletop Tripod *Kitcaster Recommends
- Complete table top tripod for digital cameras, DSLR cameras, camcorders, spotting scopes, and many other devices equipped with standard 1/4 tripod mounts;
- Full of Features: 3-Way pan/tilt head, quick release mounting plate, bubble level, extendable center column, quick snap leg locks, non-slip rubber feet;
Mackie HM-4 4-Way Headphone Amplifier Bundle *Kitcaster Recommends
- This Mackie HM4 4-Way Headphones Amplifier comes with all the manufacturer accessories and a 1-year Mackie USA warranty along with a 10-piece bundle which includes a Mophead 10′ TRS balanced male to male 1/4″ cable, 4x TRS 1/4″ stereo to 3.5mm TRS adapter, 4x cable management ties and Circuit City microfiber cloth.
- Share a stereo input signal with maximum headroom and low noise to up to 4 pairs of headphones.
Blackmagic Design ATEM Mini Pro HDMI Live Stream Switcher *Kitcaster Recommends
- HDMI Video Inputs – 4 x HDMI type A, 10-bit HD switchable. 2 channel embedded audio.
- Total Audio Inputs – 2 x 3.5mm stereo mini jack.
- Direct recording to USB flash disks in H.264
- Direct streaming via Ethernet to YouTube Live and more